Saturday, March 10, 2012

If you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?

For me, it's sweet cider- (preferably Woodpecker), Bailey's liqueur with ice, or a nice, hearty Manhattan, Blue Lagoon, Snowball or Alabama Slammer, (although, in this weather, I much prefer a nice ice-cold Coke with ice to any alcohol!) What about you guys? I'd REALLY appreciate YOUR angles on this one, please, guys. Much obliged! Peace and love! Be lucky! :)If you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?Real ale (Adnams Broadside, Hopback Summer Lightning, Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge, Jennings Sneck Lifter etc) or a pint of draught Guinness. Lovely!If you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?
PatronIf you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?miller lite
Guinness or English ale and maybe some ciders depending. Cheers!If you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?Real ale, Fullers ESB, Greene King IPA.If you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?
Ice cold Czech or Polish lager, a Vodka Red Bull, and a Tequila Slammer
jack and coke or a heather honey ale if we were in a particular pub in the highlandsIf you and I were mates, we met up in a pub one night, and I offered to buy you a drink, what'd be your poison?
Guinness. Draft.
Strawberry vodka and lemonade. It's really good!!
Half a lager.
Just a small glass of beer. How about a Utopias?
In the woods I grow up in we have a saying, "It's the buck-dancer's choice", meaning it's your money therefore it is your choice. The saying stems from the appalachian party custom of the person who is about to dance calling the tune (telling the band what to play).



Most often that translates to you ordering me another of whatever drink you are having, or a drink that you think I might like. If you pressed me to choose a drink and I did not know you well, the socially acceptable default would be the cheapest house lager. A cocktail would be considered impolite because of the cost.



If we were close mates, and I knew you were flush, the answer would be, of course, a martini.



Once we had finished our drinks I would be obligated to return the favor. We would both be clear after that, but you would have the option of offering another drink and accepting one in return. When these cycles are repeated either for the purpose of one of us ending up under the table, or making one or the other of us go broke, it is referred to as "potlatch", which is a native american term for a polite form of social warfare.



Thanks for the drink- to your health! Now what'll ya have?

No comments:

Post a Comment